What plant-based food is low in calories, contains many important vitamins and minerals, and has a high water content that can help to balance hydration and support digestive regularity?
The CUCUMBER! We’ll save the discussion about if a cucumber is a fruit or a vegetable for later…
In the meantime, here is my favorite cucumber salad that is full of flavor and so simple to make!
- 2 cucumbers, sliced (unpeeled if organic because peeling them reduces the fiber and some of the vitamin/mineral content)
- 1/3 cup raw apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup water
- Sprigs of stevia plant* (you could use some maple syrup or raw sugar; or don’t sweeten at all)
* I grow my own Stevia plant in my herb garden in the summer (I live in Zone 5 so it won’t last all year up here in Pittsburgh, PA!)
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tbsp. fresh dill (or about 1 tsp. dried dill)
Mix everything in a glass jar or bowl and stir well. It is best if you can let the flavors marinate overnight, but it is still delicious as soon as you make it.
This salad will keep in the fridge for several days in an airtight glass container.