Prep time: 10 – 15 minutes
Makes: Approximately 8 servings
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ cup gluten free flour (store bought or make your own – see recipe below!)
- 2 cups water
- 3 TBSP. Bragg’s Liquid Aminos (or Tamari)
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- Sea salt (adjust according to your taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste, but I add about ¼ tsp.)
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat and sauté the onions until soft (about 5 minutes) – stir occasionally.
- Add the nutritional yeast and gluten free flour and mix with the onions for about 2 minutes. The mixture will get dry.
- Add water, Bragg’s Liquid Aminos (or Tamari), thyme, and garlic powder. Continue to cook, whisking continuously, until the mixture is very thick.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender and puree until smooth. Add sea salt and black pepper to taste.
GLUTEN FREE FLOUR BLEND:
In a large bowl, combine the following ingredients and whisk until mixed well:
- 1 ½ cups brown rice flour
- ½ cup potato starch
- ¼ cup white rice flour
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
- 1 tsp. xanthan gum (this is optional but acts as an extra binder since there is no gluten).
Once all dry ingredients are mixed, pour into a glass jar (or sealed container) and store in the refrigerator. It should last a couple of months in the fridge.