Prep time: 30 – 40 min; Cook time: 10 min
Makes: 2-3 servings (about 6 – 8 patties)
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1 can garbanzo beans – drained & rinsed
- 1 jalapeno, with seeds & membranes removed – coursely chopped
- 1 celery stalk – coursely chopped
- 1 lime – juiced
- 2 TBSP hemp seeds
- 2 TBSP cajun seasoning or spice
- ½ cup gluten-free panko breadcrumbs, DIVIDED
- 1 can hearts of palm, drained and chopped, DIVIDED
- ¼ – ½ tsp. sea salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 2 – 3 cloves of garlic, depending on taste, minced
- 1 cup Veganaisse mayo
- ¼ green apple, cut into thin matchsticks
- 4 large kale leaves, stems removed, and chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 beet, peeled and spiralized (or cut into thin matchsticks)**
- 1 carrot, peeled and spiralized (or cut into thin matchsticks)**
**TIMESAVING TIP: Purchase carrots and beets already spiralized in the produce section at your grocery store!
- In a food processor, add the drained garbanzo geans, jalapeno, celery, hemp seeds, cajun seasoning, 1 tsp. lime juice, and ¼ cup of the panko breadcrumbs. Pulse about 10 times. Don’t make it mush! It should be chunky.
- Add the half-can of drained/chopped hearts of palm, sea salt, and pepper. Pulse about 3 times to incorporate into the cake mixture.
- Form the cake mixture into 6 – 8 patties, place on a plate, and put in the fridge.
- Make the lime aioli in a small bowl by adding the minced garlic, 2 tsp. of the lime juice (add more to taste), Veganaise, and a pinch of salt. Stir. Add more lime juice if needed.
- Make the “slaw” in a large bowl. Add the remaining chopped hearts of palm, apple, kale, beets, 1 TBSP lime aioli, remaining lime juice, and a pinch of sea salt and pepper. Toss the salad to evenly coat.
- Sprinkle the remaining panko crumbs over the cake patties. Carefully turn them over and coat the other side (press the breadcrumbs lightly onto the cakes so that it sticks on).
- Place a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat with 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil. Once hot (a couple of minutes), add the cake patties and cook until golden brown, flipping once, about 3 – 5 minutes per side. Transfer the cakes to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Put the slaw portions desired on a plate and top with the crabless cakes. Serve with lime aioli for dipping. Garnish with additional chopped lime, if desired.
- Leftovers will keep overnight in an airtight container in the fridge for about 3 – 4 days.