Creamy Butternut Squash Soup – Vegan
Prep time: 15 minutes; Roast time: Approx. 40 minutes; Cook time: Approx. 10 minutes
Makes: 4 cups
- 2 cups veggie broth
- ½ butternut squash, freshly roasted, peeled (after roasting)
- 2 tbsp. chopped onion
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 tbsp. olive oil (enough to saute the onion and garlic)
- ¼ medium apple, peeled and seeded
- ¼ tsp. ground ginger
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg or cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 3 tbsp. almond milk (OPTIONAL)
- 2 tbsp. vegan margarine (OPTIONAL)
- Fresh rosemary or parsely for garnish (OPTIONAL)
- Preheat oven to ROAST 400 deg. F.
- Cut the squash ins half (long) and scoop out seeds.
- Place the cut side down on a parchment lined pan and roast for about 40 minutes (until a fork can easily pierce through the skin.)
- While squash is roasting, saute the onion and garlic in a little bit of hot olive oil for about 3 – 5 minutes to lightly brown the onion. Set aside.
- When the squash is cool enough to handle, scoop out the insides of the ½ squash and discard the skin. You can either chop the remaining ½ squash and use on a salad or however you please; OR double this recipe!
- Place broth, squash, sauteed onion/garlic mixture, apple, nutmeg or cinnamon, pepper, and salt into a high-speed blender in the order listed and secure the lid.
- If you have a Vitamix, choose the “Hot Soup” program – this will blend the soup to perfect consistency and run for about 6 minutes to make it hot to eat.
- Otherwise, blend until a perfectly smooth texture.
- After the blender stops, add the almond milk and vegan margarine (IF USING) and blend for another 30 seconds.
- If you used a Vitamix, the soup is ready to eat! If not, you will need to transfer to a saucepan and heat for about 10 minutes to get the soup hot.
- Transfer to serving bowls and garnish with rosemary or parsely, if desired!