Crispy Potatoes with Creamy Habanero Sauce
Who doesn’t like crispy potatoes with a side of delicious dipping sauce!? We recently whipped up an easy recipe you can do in no time with some simple and healthy ingredients. These crispy potatoes are perfect as a snack on their own or as a side dish for dinner. Put them on a salad for a hearty topper or serve with a tofu scramble. You can’t go wrong with crispy potatoes! The secret to these delicious potatoes is cooking them in an air-fryer to give them a crispy outside and soft center.
You can use a store bought habanero hot sauce or check out this recipe by Julie Klink on Tasty. I tried her easy recipe and OH MY – it was super-hot and delicious! The recipe made a LOT of habanero sauce that I can freeze in small containers, so I always have it available. This versatile and very hot sauce, when mixed with some “coolers” like vegan mayo and unsweetened ketchup, was the perfect addition to heat up these potatoes while not burning your mouth.
To add some color and extra healthy ingredients to these potatoes, I also air-fried a coarsely chopped red pepper and zucchini that I seasoned with a little salt, pepper, and oil. About 15 minutes in the air-fryer at 390 deg is all that was needed to prepare the peppers and zucchinis. The potatoes and veggie mix were both complemented by this delicious sauce.
Here’s the recipe, but you’ll notice that I don’t really measure things when I’m cooking – so have fun with it and season to your heart’s content!
- 5-7 Russet potatoes (keep skins on) chopped into 1” cubes
- Canola or high-heat oil
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Smoked paprika
For the sauce:
- Vegan mayo
- Habanero sauce
Directions for the potatoes:
- Put the chopped potatoes in a bowl and add enough oil to lightly coat the potatoes (about 2 tsp.)
- Sprinkle the salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and smoked paprika on the potatoes (about 1/8 – ¼ tsp of each seasoning).
- Mix the potatoes with the oil and seasonings and air fry at 390 for about 18 minutes (stirring often).
Directions for the sauce:
- In a small mixing bowl, add 2 TBSP. vegan mayo, 2 TBSP. unsweetened ketchup, and 1 tsp. habanero sauce and mix together.
- Taste and adjust by adding more of any of the ingredients.
Pair the sauce with the potatoes or chosen roasted vegetable and enjoy!