10-Minute Creamy Chickpea Salad Recipe; and 10 Ways to Enjoy!
This is a go-to staple in my fridge any time of the year. It takes less than 10 minutes to make, and its versatility keeps it exciting!
With only 4 main ingredients, it is easy to whip up – with or without a food processor!
- 1 can chickpeas, drained (you can keep the liquid, named “aquafaba” if you are baking and need a binding substitute!)
- 1 – 2 dill pickles, finely chopped*
- 1 – 3 TBSP yellow, white, or red onion, finely chopped*
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped*
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- Optional: 1/4 cup Vegenaise OR 1/4 cup Notcho Nocheez™ (if you don’t want a creamy dish or oils, leave either of these options out and instead add a TBSP of lemon juice or raw apple cider vinegar!)
- Optional: 1 TBSP nutritional yeast
- Drain the chickpeas and put them in a bowl and mash them up with a fork, potato masher or pastry blender.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix.
* If you are using a food processor, you don’t need to chop the pickles, onions and celery finely – you can coarsely chop them and put in a food processor. Pulse the food processor to “finely chop”. Then add the drained chickpeas and Vegenaise or Notcho Nocheez and pulse until mixed together. Don’t overprocess, unless you want the consistency to be very soft. You an also just mix in the Vegenaise or Notcho Nocheez by hand after you have the desired consistency of the veggies and chickpeas.
Here are some ideas for serving this creamy chickpea salad:
- On a sandwich (cold or grilled)
- Open face on a sandwich with your favorite vegan cheese (or not) and broiled to make a “chickpea melt”
- On your favorite crackers (we love Onesto Foods Everything Crackers!)
- On a crostini or hard bread
- In a Bibb lettuce wrap
- On a bed of your favorite green salad
- In a soft tortilla shell (grilled or not)
- In a hard-shell taco with lettuce & tomato
- On a baked potato
- Right out of the bowl – sometimes you just need a quick snack!
Let us know your favorite way to enjoy the 10-Minute Creamy Chickpea Salad!
Thanks for veggin’ out with The Happy Vegan!